A common request I receive from my clients is for a map on how to get to where they want to be. A map begins with awareness of your journey, and knowing where you want to go. Each journey is as unique as the individuals involved, and no two are exactly the same. There are, however, some similarities I've found to be true for each journey which are helpful tools for discovery.
Rejuvenate your mind and body:
- Spend some time alone each day—it's in the stillness that creativity and knowingness emerges.
- Take care of your body. Exercise regularly, eat well, and give your body the rest it needs every day.
- Keep an open mind and an open heart.
- Have some routine and structure in each day.
- Express yourself—creativity is natural and necessary.
- Laugh—laughter is infectious and healing. It reminds us not to take ourselves so seriously and what is truly important.
Respond to challenges:
- Expect occasional detours and challenges along the way… they are a part of every journey.
- Difficulties in our lives are there to awaken us to our potential.
- When you are at a crossroads, take a look at what you think and what you feel. Follow your feelings; they will lead you to the truth.
- Do not focus on how far you have to go, instead look at how far you've come.
- Face your fears—consider fears as self-imposed barriers which impede your progress.
- Drop self-doubt. Trust in yourself and your abilities—you're more than you know.
- Take responsibility for your choices.
Reveal your true self:
- Take a travel companion (a witness)—one who will provide support and encouragement. A witness validates our experiences and helps us heal.
- Go where you've never been before—be willing to do something different.
- Follow your intuition—it's your soul guiding you.
- Practice compassion with others and yourself.
- Seek only the truth.
- Step fully into each encounter and experience—be present.
- Relish the journey—this is where the lessons of life are found.
Remember that there isn't a wrong path, there's only your path, which is yet to be claimed.
Discover your own path to fulfillment.